Thursday, June 10, 2010

A little update...

Today was the last day of school in Stayton. Judson and I went out there for a couple of hours to say goodbye. Nate came home from work after a meeting, and we headed to Eugene around 12:15.

Morgan and Anna had just gotten there, so my dad had a roomful all afternoon and evening! He was doing pretty well, except for when he got up to use the restroom or brush his teeth. Then he'd have pain and he'd put his oxygen back on and lay down. Soon he'd be feeling better again.

My parents' priest had called his nephew-in-law (is that a recognized relational term?!), who lives in Eugene, so he stopped by to pray with us in the early afternoon. Later, my parents' priest and his wife surprised us with a visit. They'd driven up from Coos Bay just to see my dad! That meant a lot to my parents (and us too). We had communion with them and prayed again. By 7:00 or so, Dad was fading and we were hungry. At my request, we circled Dad once more and Nate prayed for him (I was too choked up at that point). Then we said our goodbyes and headed out. Though we all feel very confident in the surgeons, it is a big deal to have your heart stopped and operated on for four to five hours! It was hard to say goodbye.

My dad has been really upbeat this week and continued to be tonight. He looked sad when we were leaving, but I think it was mostly because my mom and I were upset. Anyway, he'll be heading off to surgery by 6:30 or so tomorrow morning. I was mistaken in my earlier post - they will be doing a quadruple bypass (not triple) and one valve replacement.

One praise of the day was Judson. He held up so well! He didn't have a real nap all day. He slept in the Beco (front pack) for maybe twenty minutes at school, slept for part of our trip to Eugene (thirty to forty minutes), and then napped in his stroller for about twenty minutes at the hospital. THAT WAS ALL! And yet, he was still smiling and entertaining us two hours after his normal bedtime. He was a great distraction for my dad today.

Thanks for your prayers! We appreciate them more than we can express! I'll update tomorrow as I have information...

1 comment:

JuliAnn said...

Ramie! We're praying for your family! Keep us updated! Your Dad is in good hands! =)