Monday, August 1, 2011

The long-awaited raspberry post

Sorry to keep you hanging on the raspberry post I promised two weeks ago.  I wanted to wait to get JuliAnn's pictures because she got some terrific ones with her zoom lens.  And now I've had a terrible time narrowing them down.  :)

I forgot to get the CD when we saw JuliAnn and Madi last week, so I got it this morning when we met to pick blueberries.  Yes, we've been on quite a berry-picking streak lately.  I'm happy to report that we're done.  And just in time - Baby Emmitt is due on Friday!  (That's the Olson's baby.  Ours still has five and half weeks - and no name if it's a boy.  Yikes!)

Because we were nowhere near a road (You can see our cars in some pictures.  We nearly needed four-wheel drive to get out there.  The main road was VERY far away.), we let Judson and Madi wander for a few minutes before deciding to call them back toward us.   No big deal.  They'd set out across the lettuce rows.  As they headed back our direction, we watched (me in horror; JuliAnn in amusement) as they discovered a giant mud pit between the rows.  Judson immediately dove in; Madi was much more reserved.  Though I was NOT prepared to deal with that amount of mud, I decided to let him have his fun and figure it out when it was time to leave.  (Our usual car blanket had been removed two days before when we got home from camping.)

Thankfully, I did find a small hand towel and between that and baby wipes, he was acceptably clean when I finally put him in the car.  As soon as we got home, I bathed him, gave him probiotics, and started praying for "clean" mud!  :)

Warning:  These pictures may be horrifying to some of you.  They probably would have been to me at one time.  However, Judson had a blast, every last trace of mud came out of everything, he didn't get sick from the mud, and we have some terrific memories and pictures.  It was a pretty great day, after all.  :)

 
Look how clean she is!  Well, in comparison, anyway...
Actually, Judson still looks pretty clean here...  :)
 






Madi wanted to be involved, but it was just too much mud for her.  Smart girl!  :)


Really, Judson?!
And right after I noticed that there was still a strip of red shirt showing on his back, he did this.

I think I was trying to keep him from blowing bubbles in the water...
  











By the time it was time to go, his pants were at his knees, his cloth diaper had about ten pounds of mud in it, and he was exhausted.  What a day!

4 comments:

Anna said...

That. Is. Insane!!! And so great :) Good for you, mama!!

Jerilyne said...

You are awesome, Ramie!! The clothes will come clean. You can never replace these precious precious memories and if you were worried about mud, you wouldn't even have these. It's all worth it!! When Jonathan was small, he told his worried friends, "My mom lets me get as dirty as I want because she can always wash my clothes." I can honestly say, "Baby, Cute."

Joy said...

What a hoot! I love these pictures! You are an awesome Mom and you have a darling son.

mwebb said...

Those are great!!