Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mushroom Wars Update

I'm sure you've been waiting on pins and needles to hear about the mushroom wars. Well, no one has been apprehended, but I do have an update. A guy Bob hires to work on his cranberry bogs from time to time has a friend, Dave, who picks mushrooms. (I know him; he was a year behind me in high school.) Dave said he's never picked on our property but has had permission to pick nearby before. He actually quit picking a few weeks ago; it's getting too dangerous right now. Between the booby traps and the farmers with their shotguns, I think he chose wisely. Anyway, he gave my dad and Bob a name of a guy who's been known to set booby traps and he picks on the ranch. Dave even told them how he gets onto the property.

According to Dave, the lobster mushrooms will last for two more months and then as soon as it rains, some other kind (chanterelle?) will come on. So there's still time to catch the bad guys! The sheriff's department is involved now too, so that's good.

Dave also said that there's relatively small strip of land (which the ranch happens to be smack in the middle of) that is known to all serious mushroom pickers. Apparently the mushrooms grow much better there than anywhere else. Hmm.

So, that's all I know. Hopefully there will be another update soon!

No comments: