Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Fourth of July

We were home from Colorado for about 75 hours before heading to Bandon for the Fourth of July.  And I had my niece, Kristin, for 10 hours on the third.  Whew!  It was a little crazy, but we made it to Bandon at 12:30 am on the Fourth. 

We started the morning out at the parade.  Judson was so excited to get candy, and on the way he announced that there would be monster trucks and Hummers in the parade.  Sure enough, there was one of each.  I couldn't quite believe it.  :)  The kids got plenty of candy, though it's pretty hard for poor shy Judson to get out there.  Nate had to help him out.  Bandon parade candy is pretty great...lots of saltwater taffy!  The best part for me, though, was getting to see so many people we know and love.
Hard to believe how one has to dress for the Fourth in Bandon, huh?  I had to add leggings and a turtleneck to Cooper's sundress.  :)




Judson's monster truck



Afterwards, we spent some time at the elementary school playground.  Lots of history there, of course.  I attended school there,  my mom taught there, and my dad helped build the playground (Castle Crest) many years ago.  The new, colorful stuff has been added, but some of the old wooden parts are still there.


Throwing pea gravel.  That stuff was so dirty.  My kids were instantly filthy.  Ugh.


Pleased with herself.

The kids took massive naps (hallelujah!) in the afternoon, and then we went to a fun BBQ at the Goddards', where we again saw lots of old friends.  Finally, we went to watch the fireworks show.  The whole fireworks experience in Bandon is terrific.  It's super easy to find a parking spot and a spot to sit right by the water.  The fireworks go off over the Coquille River and it's really quite an impressive show.  However, every few years the fog rolls in and you can't see a single firework.  Those years aren't so great.  Thankfully, this wasn't one of those years.  :)  The kids held up so well all day and definitely enjoyed the fireworks (though Judson had his hands over his ears the entire time).

*Side note: The kids went to bed at almost eleven and Cooper was still up at 5:55 am.  What is her problem?!  :)
As soon as Cooper heard the first boom, she wanted me, which thrilled me.  She was like my own personal heater.  :)


Love this one!

No comments: