Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Advent calendar

Last year I became inspired to make an Advent calendar after seeing some really cute ones on Pinterest.  I had a three month old and a barely-two year old, but I somehow managed.  It was a lot of work!  I bought a kit, but had to glue the boxes together, paint them multiple times, cut out paper, glue it on, paint numbers, put Mod Podge over the whole thing, and so on.  (I did it after they were in bed and sometimes just got the box finished the night before the day it was needed.  It didn't matter.  Judson was too young to really "get" it last year.)  It turned out so well, though, and I love it!  Last year was a good year for a trial run.  Judson's so excited about it this year, and he doesn't let me forget to do it.  :)

Early in the month, the boxes said things like, "Get out Little People nativity set" and "vinyl window clings."  Others contain pieces of paper that tell about an activity we get to do or a book we get to pull out (I have so many Christmas books that I just held some back when I got the rest out).  The rest have pieces of another nativity set in them.  We are really focusing on Christmas being Jesus' birthday party and why Jesus is the best Christmas present we will ever receive.  I love starting traditions like this! 

**I read a blog by an awesome Christian mom with SIX (!!) kids.  They do "Twenty-four Days of Kindness," which I may copy at some point when my kids are a little older.

Isn't it cute?!  :)



No comments: