Monday, November 12, 2012

Mount Hood Railroad

A number of months ago, I got a deal on a family four-pack of tickets on the Mt. Hood Railroad ($30 for four).  It sounded like a fun fall outing, and I knew Judson would LOVE it.  About a month ago, we invited my parents along and had a terrific day.  The train left at ten and got back to the station at three, so it quite the excursion.  We stopped at a pear processing plant, and then we had a longer stop in Parkdale, where we enjoyed a picnic lunch.  Mt. Hood wasn't really visible, but that was okay.

Both kids crashed as soon as we got back on the train, and I was quite jealous that I didn't have either of them snuggling with me.

Cooper loved not being strapped in!





He's almost as big as she is!

Enjoying lunch out of the rain








The most fascinating part of the day was when the train passed this abandoned mill in the middle of nowhere.  The parking area was filled with all sorts of old RVs, camper vans, tents, and VERY interesting people, many who were dressed in tiger prints, neons, tails, and so on.  There was a "Deepurr" sign up and I looked it up when we got home.  It was called an all-night concert, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the only thing going on up there.  Hmm.  When the train passed on the way back to the station, the whole area was already packed up.  Impressive.

No comments: