Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Big, big news

The other day at breakfast, while our Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes were still on the table, Judson said he was going to put his binkies in them.  I started to say he couldn't, but then caught myself.  We'd mentioned a few times lately that it was about time for him to be done with them, but hadn't made any real plans to deal with them.

So I told him I thought it was a great idea to send them to kids who didn't have any and that was pretty much that.  He didn't ever put up much of a fuss about being done.  A couple of times, he'd say things like, "With binky, I can sleep.  Without binky, I can't sleep."  And once he said, "I want my binky."  I said, "What?" and he said, "I DON'T want my binky."  :)  He's been so brave and it hasn't really affected his sleep too much.

He has been chewing on his fingers during stories lately, which I've been discouraging.  Interestingly, he hasn't shown much interest in his little blanket bears, which he HAD to have with his binkies.  Maybe it's too painful to have one without the other.  :)

We are so proud of him, but I'm a little sad, too.  I sucked my thumb for FOREVER (fourth grade, I think, but only at night, so no one knew except for my family), so I understand having to give up such a comfort is hard.  What a big boy!  Now, if only potty training will be so easy...

These were taken two days after he stopped using his binkies.  I wanted photo documentation before we dropped off our boxes.  And, NO, I did not actually send his binkies away in the boxes.  In case you were wondering.  :)






No comments: