Monday, January 11, 2010

Medical Emergency

I had quite the scare on Friday morning! Before I describe it, let me start by saying this is something I'd actually read about happening before Judson was even born, so I've tried to be really careful about it. (Most people we've told have never heard about it happening before. ) Anyway, on Friday, I put Judson in his little bathtub and started to wash his leg. I noticed a hair (of mine) caught on his toes, so I quickly tried to yank it off. Well, he started screaming and then I looked closer. The hair was TIGHTLY wrapped around the toes and had been for quite some time. I couldn't even tell if I'd gotten it off, because his two little toes were dark red and extremely swollen! I finally determined I had, but I called the on-call nurse just to be safe. The hair must've been in the toe of his sleeper, so I had no idea how many hours it had been cutting off circulation. The nurse had me come in and the pediatrician (not our regular one) put on a special magnifying headset to make sure the hair was off. Sure enough it was...it had just cut into the skin so it was hard to tell. He was very nice and said it happens. He also assured me the toes would heal. Phew! Thank you, Lord!

These pictures were taken after the hair had been off for about three hours. (Today, they're looking much better, though they're still much bigger than his other toes and the second-to-last toe still has the cut clear around it.)

3 comments:

JuliAnn said...

Oh my gosh, poor Judson! ;( Good job on the pictures though Momma! I'm sure you were quite traumatized as well! Thankfully, they WILL heal, and unfortunately this is probably only the begin of injuries for our little ones. =(

Joani said...

I had never heard of that, either. The pictures are pretty sad. Poor guy (and poor Mommy)!

Unknown said...

Wow! Craziness!