Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tubing at Mt. Hoodoo

Two weekends ago, we decided at the last minute to go tubing at Hoodoo with Phil, Bridgett, and Kristin.  I had wanted to get our kids to the snow and it just hadn't happened yet.

Anyway, we scrounged gear for our kiddos and I bundled us all up WAY more than it turned out I needed to.  Bridgett mentioned that they never wore gloves up there and I thought she was crazy.  It ended up being a GORGEOUS, WARM day and by the time we were done, I'd taken off my sweatshirt, gloves, and hat, and unzipped my jacket.  Note to self: going to the snow in the spring is way more enjoyable than going when it's freezing (especially with kids).  Also, paying to go tubing where there's a rope-tow is DEFINITELY worth the money.  (Kids under five are free.)

We got off to a rough start.  Cooper tipped over and landed face-first in snow and wasn't happy about it.  She was begging to get back in the car, and I eventually decided to let her have her binky, lest she ruin our entire day.  (She's only been having it for naps and bedtime for over a month and doing great  for the most part.)  Still, she was quite fussy and insisted she be carried for most of the morning. 

She didn't make a peep during our first run down the hill, but that was probably because I was screaming.  On second thought, maybe she did and I just couldn't hear her.  :)  It was much faster than I remembered from years ago AND I had her with me and didn't want to crash and injure her.  Anyway, as soon as we were at the bottom, she started saying, "Bebe" (binky) over and over and I realized she'd lost it.  ACK!  We didn't have another one and again I was pretty certain our day was going to be a short one.  Thankfully, though, we had gone down the first run and I spotted it way up the hill.  Nate ran up and retrieved it and saved the day.  We zip-tied it to her zipper and she happily sucked the rest of the day...  Yes, eventually she was perfectly happy, even way past naptime. 

All told, we got seven runs (out of ten) in and had a terrific day.  All three kids held up so well!  On our last run of the day, we did have a scare, however.  Phil and Judson's tube came unhooked near the top and instead of crashing into the safety nets, it hit Nate's which came undone and crashed into Cooper and me.  It was really scary, because the tow area was a sheet of ice and I didn't want to slide down it at break-neck speeds and take other tubers out.  I quickly decided to roll off with Cooper and no was else was taken out.  (Nate had grabbed the cable and tried to stop, wearing quite a mark into his gloves.)  Quite the adventure.  The employee at the top said he'd never seen anything like that.  (The tubes usually hit the nets if they come unhooked.)

I prayed before every run because it was so fast and we had such precious "cargo."  I was so thankful for a fun, SAFE day!


This was not when she face-planted.  I didn't witness it, but Nate did and said it was awfully cute (in a sad way, of course! :)

Bridgett forgot her sunglasses.  Thankfully, Nate had these goggles with him.


Judson broke his sunglasses right before getting out of the car (not intentionally), so borrowed some of Kristin's.




At the end of the day, I asked Judson what his favorite part was.  He replied, "Throwing snowballs at Phil."

Everything but the glasses was given to us by different people, yet she matched perfectly.  :)


She finally decided sitting in the tube by herself while we were in line wasn't so bad.

She spent a lot of time like this...cleaning snow and debris out of the tube. :)
 



Kristin fell asleep while we were in line.


SUCH a beautiful day!



No comments: