Sunday, November 16, 2008

Let the blogging begin!











Okay, so I'm starting a blog. I have no idea how to do anything fancy and it appears as though the pictures are backward chronologically, but it's going to have to be good enough. =) Time will tell if I will be able to actually find interesting things to post. For now, I do. We tore out our kitchen today. Completely. I'm sort of in shock. We hadn't planned to start today, but we had people available to help, so the demolition began. Forrest helped all morning and Nate's uncle Paul and his cousin (a contractor), Ross, helped us all day. Because there was going to be major sheetrock patching and there were THREE different textures on the ceiling, Nate decided he wanted to just tear all of the existing sheetrock out. It was a huge undertaking, as the insulation in the attic and in the exterior walls was blown in (which means it's loose). When we tore up the linoleum and plywood (or whatever it is), it reeked of cat pee, so we decided to rip out the linoleum and subfloor that was below what we'd already torn out. **Disclaimer: Our cats are not the ones who peed in this house. Promise! ** So now we're down to the very bottom layer of floor. Hopefully the bad smells will be gone for good. Anyway, demolition went really fast, so it was quite exciting. Now Nate has to put in recessed lighting, redo the circuit box, rewire a bunch of things, and figure out if we're going to hire someone to do the insulating and sheetrock. Oh, we also have to choose flooring and paint... The plan is that Nate and my dad will put our new cabinets in Thanksgiving weekend. That seems so soon, but now I'm without any sort of kitchen and my fridge is in my living room, so I hope our timeline sticks. (All of these pictures were taken today. Crazy!)

6 comments:

Camille said...

HOLY SMOKES! When you guys decide to do demo you really go for it. Keith and I are in shock. You are sooo brave! Keep us posted on your progress.

JuliAnn said...

I love the blog! It's just in time for kids! :) I didn't even recognize your kitchen... or that "room". Nice job! Just keep telling yourself, "I get a brand new kitchen." (someday :)

Dan Willis said...

I know it is an hour long drive, but if you need to come over for dinner some nights, please feel free! And do not have guilt about going out 7 nights a week! Good work! - Elise and Dan

Amy said...

I am so excited for you to be blogging! I have been waiting for you to post. Good luck living through the demo - it will look fantastic when it is finished!

"C" said...

WOW! How exciting!! You will have such a beautiful kitchen to cook in when it is all done....!

mperrone said...

WOW....how different does this look from just a few days ago. I didn't even recognize the different picts. It will look great when its done. Good luck with it and can't wait to see it.