Saturday, September 6, 2014

Judson's First Day of School

Judson is going to "Friday School" this year.  It's Fridays from 9:00-12:45, and it is absolutely perfect for us!  Last spring, when people started asking if he was going to go to preschool, I kept saying, "If there was a one-day-a-week option, that would be perfect."  I never looked into it, though.  Most preschools do three days a week for four year olds.

In June, my friend Elise and I were talking about preschool.  I gave her my usual answer, and she said, "There is a one day option!"  Her sister-in-law's mom, who taught for many years in Salem, now teaches "Friday School."  Basically, she just wants kids to have the very best first school experience possible.

I immediately contacted her.  She was full; she'd only planned to have five kids this year.  She said she'd pray about it and she asked me to, as well.  I didn't hear until August, but she decided to open up a spot for Judson.  She'd never given a spot to a child without meeting him or her first, but she really felt like he was supposed to be in her class.  (Thank you, Lord!)

We met her a few weeks before school started.  (I'd met her before.  Her daughter went to George Fox and we went to New Zealand together.)  Judson was very nervous, but we left her house feeling good.  (Friday School takes place at her beautiful home in West Salem.)

Judson was mostly excited for school to start this week.  Slightly nervous, but more excited than I expected.  Yesterday I had to go wake him up (had to be sure to have time for pictures!).  He wasn't really stirring until I said, "Do you know what today is?!"  His eyes literally popped open and he instantly sat up with a big grin on his face.  As he was climbing down the ladder, though (new bunk bed pictures to come soon!), he said something like, "I'm not so sure about this anymore."  :)

He was SO brave, however, and was perfectly fine when I left him.  He's grown up so much in the past year.  He's the kid who screamed until he was over three when we left him in Sunday School.

When I picked him up afterward, he was all smiles.  He said, "I wish Friday School was every day."  I responded and then he said, "I'd want to go every day if Mrs. Stillinger was my teacher.  She's the best teacher I've ever had!"  Later in the drive, he was bummed because Friday School wasn't all day long.  :)

Disclaimer for certain family members who haven't seen lots of other back to school pictures lately:  I did not come up with the ideas for the signs on my own.  I tried two different ways because I couldn't make up my mind.  :)









He didn't want to cover up his shirt.  :)


View of the backpack.

Mrs. Stillinger.  She reminds me a lot of Mrs. Goddard, a good family friend and former teacher of mine.

No comments: