Friday, December 9, 2011

4GEN Farm

It's almost midnight and I'd really love to be in bed, but I'm waiting for a certain little someone to fall asleep...and then stay that way.  As I've said before, she's a terrific sleeper, but getting her down for the night is still a bit of a challenge.  And since there's nothing more painful (sleep-wise) than being woken twenty minutes after falling asleep, I try to stay up until I'm sure she's really out.  (Currently she's making all sorts of noise, but unless she starts wailing, she's on her own.)

Anyway, that's way off topic.  I'm really blogging about our Christmas tree cutting experience.  We weren't able to go on Saturday, which was completely gorgeous, but Sunday was a decent day too.  Lots of fog, but it lifted briefly when we got to the tree farm.

Last year I had this ideal plan in my mind and, of course, the experience didn't turn out the way I'd hoped.  It poured the day we went, Nate's brothers and their wives came, but certain members of the group weren't really happy about being there, Judson was terrified of Santa, our tree turned out to be fairly ugly, and the list goes on.

This year, I had no preconceived notions about our outing.  I just wanted to find somewhere close and  not have to spend too much.  (Nate doesn't like it when we get to a place and then I make him leave because their trees are outrageously expensive.  I think I've only done that once or twice...  :)

I finally picked a place within about ten minutes of here and we headed out.  We really are in the heart of Christmas tree farms out here.  They're EVERYWHERE.  I almost changed my mind while en route because I saw a sign that said $15.  Well, I sure am glad I didn't.

We had to drive on a gravel road for a ways and during that time, we passed at least four other commercial tree farms.  Judson kept saying, "Cut THAT Kissmiss tree," as we passed farm after farm.  4Gen Farm was on a hill and in a gorgeous location. 

We had to hike up a hill and Judson had a blast.  We found a beautiful tree really quickly and then got to ride down the hill in a pickup (the guys rode in the back, which Judson loved).  The tree only cost $20, and then we got to choose a charity that would receive $5 of our purchase.  We chose "Marion-Polk Food Share," a local food distribution charity where we volunteer once a month.  Very cool!

We had cocoa and cookies and even got a decent family picture.  What a perfect tree-hunting experience!  Thank you, Lord!

Carrying our flag, which we could wave if we needed someone to cut our tree for us or carry it down the hill.  We didn't use the flag, but Judson sure enjoyed hauling it up the hill!  :)



Daddy was about to get him...
Our tree.  Nate always picks.  I've given up trying to pick.  He's really good at it.  I wasn't a fan of the Beaver Santa hat, but I didn't have a say.  :)

Trying to show Cooper's face (Cheryl made the great blanket.  It is SO COZY!)

Helping Daddy cut the tree down

Family picture.  I wasn't even going to ask anyone to take one, and then one of the ladies who worked there volunteered.  It made my day, because I hate asking people to do it for us, yet I always want pictures of the whole family.

Swings, cookies, and dirt...three of his favorites :)

No comments: